PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Tomorrow will be a RED letter day for me guys!

jholbrook
05.02.2007, 21:09
Greetings Rolex Fans!

I'm so excited I can't stand it! And I'm litterally in SHOCK about the watch that will be delivered TOMORROW according to the UPS tracking number. :)

Those of you who have seen my posts on the WTF Rolex Forum know that I've expressed some interest in getting a vintage Submariner - a 1680. I didn't know when exactly, as the new house and re-modeling we're doing have been capturing most of my available cash. =(

But then...out of the blue...I met a guy who mentioned he had this Submariner...one that he'd had for many years...he said it was pretty beat up. I asked him if he'd consider selling it....and to make a long story short, a deal was struck.

The best part? This isn't just any 1680 Submariner.....it's a RED Submariner!!! :supercool: :rofl: :supercool:

Here's the seller's photos - they aren't the best, and the white balance is a bit off. But the dial and hands look to be in pretty darn good condition:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/jholbrook/Red%20Submariner/redsub2a.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/jholbrook/Red%20Submariner/redsuba.jpg

Here's another shot he took where the white balance looks better - the markers look like they only have a very light patina:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/jholbrook/Red%20Submariner/redsub3.jpg

Clearly the bezel has seen better days, and check out the photo of the bracelet - you could drive a truck between those stretched links:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/jholbrook/Red%20Submariner/redsub4.jpg

My plan is to replace the bezel insert with a correct 1680 bezel, and to source a 93150 bracelet, with 580 ends. Of course, I will keep and store all the original pieces. :cool:

I'll also have the case cleaned up, and an overhaul of the movement. Rolex USA doesn't service watches this old anymore, but fortunately, Stoll & Co. in my own backyard is about the best in the business and sees thousands of Rolex watches each year. :D I plan to do an article on the restoration process. Of course, I won't touch the dial.

So what do you think guys? I still can't believe I'm going to have my very own Red Sub!!!!

Tobimat2000
05.02.2007, 21:40
dear john - congratulations!

this is a really stunning and breathtaking RED Sub and I am already looking forward to your upcoming story about the restauration of this beauty!

thanks for posting it here!

greetings, tobias

jholbrook
05.02.2007, 21:55
Original von Tobimat2000
dear john - congratulations!

this is a really stunning and breathtaking RED Sub and I am already looking forward to your upcoming story about the restauration of this beauty!

thanks for posting it here!

greetings, tobias

Thanks Tobias - I look forward to the experience too! :gut: :supercool:

Edmundo
05.02.2007, 21:58
Please keep the bezel - it looks great! If you do not like this style - I would take it for my 1680.

DeeJay
05.02.2007, 21:59
congrats John, is the bezel a aftermarket ??

COMEX
05.02.2007, 21:59
A really nice case and crown guard! Congrats, John. It seems to be the 1680 week!

ehemaliges mitglied
05.02.2007, 22:14
wow John, welcome to the vintage world!

Gr,
István

jholbrook
05.02.2007, 22:14
Original von Gerard De Vois
congrats John, is the bezel a aftermarket ??

I don't think so...it's just badly faded, as far as I can tell.

jholbrook
05.02.2007, 22:15
Original von elmar2001
Please keep the bezel - it looks great! If you do not like this style - I would take it for my 1680.

Well, I'll see how I like it when it shows up, but even if I get a new bezel insert, I'll be keeping all the original parts. ;)

jholbrook
05.02.2007, 22:28
Original von Penzes
wow John, welcome to the vintage world!

Gr,
István

Thanks Isvan!!! I told you I wanted a 1680! :gut:

joo
05.02.2007, 23:19
Hi John,

I think, first thing to do in this projekt is to check the movement and the authenticity of the dial. If you are quit sure, that' all okay, then start looking for an repair of the bracelet. The folded bracelet is the better choice for the redsub - imho.
And than it would be better to look for an used inlay with tritium-dot, don't go for a new one with the SL-dot - it doesn't fit to the vintage-style of your 1680 - imho.

Happy hunting for the parts. :D

Edmundo
05.02.2007, 23:40
Original von joo
Hi John,

I think, first thing to do in this projekt is to check the movement and the authenticity of the dial. If you are quit sure, that' all okay, then start looking for an repair of the bracelet. The folded bracelet is the better choice for the redsub - imho.
And than it would be better to look for an used inlay with tritium-dot, don't go for a new one with the SL-dot - it doesn't fit to the vintage-style of your 1680 - imho.

imho :D

Rolifan
05.02.2007, 23:42
wow :gut:

red_sub
06.02.2007, 00:35
John, this Redsub is a beauty with this bezel...Congrats :cool: :cool:

jholbrook
06.02.2007, 02:00
Original von joo
Hi John,

I'm pretty certain, but will of course open the case myself and scrutinize the dial carefully. I have a very good relationship with a watch service center here in the US which services hundreds of Rolex watches (many vintage) every year. I'll have them service the movement.

Hannes
06.02.2007, 06:04
Congrats, John.
Can´t wait to see your pictures :gut:

CEO
06.02.2007, 08:02
joyfull saying"very own RedSub", I can feel it :D Have fun with the beauty :gut: :gut: :gut:

Greetings

[Dents]Milchschnitte
06.02.2007, 12:36
Hello John,

congratualations on such a spectacular find, looks like you were just the right guy in the right place (unlike Bruce Willis LoL)

I´m convinced that the watch will look fabulous, once the new bracelet is on and you watchmaker gave the case a makeover.

Perhaps you should also consider polishing the crystal (or have it polished), as the date magnifier looks like it collected a few "dings" over the years.

I would much apreciate you taking some of your own ,well known quality pictures when you get the watch and again after you get it back from service.I´d like to see the difference in condition!

Thank you for sharing this - it´s always nice to see someone from abroad posting on this forum and if they have awesome things to show - like in this case - it´s even better.

Best of luck to you nd your new RedSub,

Oliver

jholbrook
06.02.2007, 12:42
Original von [Dents]Milchschnitte
Hello John,

congratualations on such a spectacular find, looks like you were just the right guy in the right place (unlike Bruce Willis LoL)

I´m convinced that the watch will look fabulous, once the new bracelet is on and you watchmaker gave the case a makeover.

Perhaps you should also consider polishing the crystal (or have it polished), as the date magnifier looks like it collected a few "dings" over the years.

I would much apreciate you taking some of your own ,well known quality pictures when you get the watch and again after you get it back from service.I´d like to see the difference in condition!

Thank you for sharing this - it´s always nice to see someone from abroad posting on this forum and if they have awesome things to show - like in this case - it´s even better.

Best of luck to you nd your new RedSub,

Oliver

Thanks Oliver - I'll have a crack at polishing the crystal myself but will likely replace it if I can get the exact correct match for the replacement. :gut: My watchmaker is busy sourcing parts. :supercool:

joo
06.02.2007, 22:52
Original von jholbrook

Thanks Oliver - I'll have a crack at polishing the crystal myself but will likely replace it if I can get the exact correct match for the replacement. :gut: My watchmaker is busy sourcing parts. :supercool:

A "officially" Rolex-Dealer takes about 45 EUR in good old Germany for crystal for a 1680. ;)